It’s Day 21 of our #HotSmoreSummer content and it’s National Toasted Marshmallow Day! Our second favorite holiday after National S’mores Day and a very important day in s’mores month! Today we are talking about one of the most iconic marshmallow creations of all time: the fluffernutter. Created in the Boston area, the fluffernutter is traditionally a sandwich featuring white bread, peanut butter, and marshmallow fluff.
This iconic sandwich was actually the inspiration for our current marshmallow of the month: fluffernutter. But since we are a peanut free kitchen, we do things a little differently. Both our fluffernutter sandwich and our marshmallow are made with sunbutter. Sunbutter tastes just like peanut butter, but is made with sunflower seeds instead of peanuts, making it the perfect substitution for those with nut allergies. The amazing thing about a fluffernutter sandwich is that you can really make your own! Try substituting peanut butter for Nutella or cookie butter or adding some sliced bananas for an Elvis vibe. Either way, you’re getting a sweet sandwich that’s the perfect mallow treat.
- Bread of your choice (we recommend a white bread)
- Sunbutter (or peanut butter if that’s your preference)
- XO Vanilla ooey marshmallow goodness
- Optional: Cinnamon and/or our Fluffernutter marshmallows
- Start by toasting your bread. We love the added texture this brings to the sandwich
- On one slice of bread, spread your sunbutter.
- On the other slice of bread, spread your ooey marshmallow goodness.
- Smush and enjoy!
- Or (bonus addition) sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon on the marshmallow fluff side and toast 2-3 of our fluffernutter marshmallows and place on the sunbutter side before smushing together for a sandwich that’s extra mallowy and has a little cinnamon kick.
Making one of our s’mores? We want to see! Post on social media and tag @xo.marshmallow and #hotsmoresummer to show us your amazing creations!